Sunday 14 October 2018

The Year of Taking Chances by Lucy Diamond



Synopsis:
Because love is always worth the risk . . .


It's New Year's Eve, and Gemma and Spencer Bailey are throwing a house party. There's music, dancing, champagne and all their best friends under one roof. It's going to be a night to remember.

Also at the party is Caitlin, who has returned to the village to pack up her much-missed mum's house and to figure out what to do with her life; and Saffron, a PR executive who's keeping a secret which no amount of spin can change. The three women bond over Gemma's dodgy cocktails and fortune cookies, and vow to make this year their best one yet.
But as the months unfold, Gemma, Saffron and Caitlin find themselves tested to their limits by shocking new developments. Family, love, work, home - all the things they've taken for granted are thrown into disarray. Under pressure, they are each forced to rethink their lives and start over. But dare they take a chance on something new?


My Review:

I picked this book up by chance in my local library and I'm pleased I did, after reading a few reviews I knew I had picked a fab read.

The book kicks off at a house party, New Year's Eve and hiding out in the kitchen are three women who have just met for the first time.

Gemma the hostess of the party, happily married to Spencer living in their new house with their two children.
Caitlin an old school friend of Spencer's who has returned to the village to sort her mums house who sadly passed and to figure out what's next in her life.
Saffron a PR executive taking a break from life, staying in the cottage next door to Gemma, with no one to greet her and with no help when the electrics go out decides to pop next door to seek help.

The three women brought together by the party, bond over dodgy cocktails, fortune cookies and making New Year resolutions.

The three main characters were likeable from the start, the storyline too was very easy to get into and believable. We follow the three women throughout the year, each chapter switching to each character. I always enjoy books that are written this way, reading each characters point of view always gives you that extra insight into their mind.

Over the next few months Gemma, Saffron and Caitlin face change and they are forced to adapt to their new situations. Throughout the changes, struggles and opportunities arise for the three women and they are all made to rethink their choices in life.

I felt that the story was to teach us that change although sometimes can be daunting, it can always be a good thing and helps us to learn, be brave and take risks and to take the positive out of any situation.  However much you plan things never go the way they should!

Throughout this review I know I haven't gone into depth about the storyline itself, with a few secrets and twists I would hate to give away any spoilers and ruin it for others. I would class this book as a feel good read, although the story hits some tough times for each character, the close friendship they form is really heart warming and made me think of my own support network and how grateful I am.  Lovely read and I recommend! 







No comments:

Post a Comment