Friday 8 February 2019

Book Review: Love Punked by Nia Lucas





Synopsis:

When her life is irrevocably altered by a post-Rave tryst on her mother's floral patio recliner, Erin Roberts’ long-standing relationship with Humiliation takes her down a path that's not so much 'less well trodden', more 'perilous descent down sheer cliffs'.

Armed with a fierce devotion to her best friend and the unrequited love for the boy she might have accidentally married at age seven, when Erin falls pregnant at sixteen, life veers off at a most unexpected tangent.

Her journey to adulthood is far from ordinary as Erin learns that protecting the hearts of those most precious to you isn't balm enough when your Love Punked heart is as sore as your freshly tattooed arse.

Whilst raising football prodigies and trying not to get stuck in lifts with Social Work clients who hate her, Erin discovers that sometimes you have to circumnavigate the globe to find the very thing that was there all along.


My Review:
I was very fortunate to be asked by Nia Lucas to read and review 'Love Punked'.  
Slightly different to my usual reads, however after reading the synopsis I was intrigued and wanted to read more!

Blimey! I was gripped! Constantly trying to fit in a few pages where I could...  This read is highly addictive, down to earth and very funny and although it is based on a very serious subject of Teen pregnancy the humour and one liners Nia brings to the story is simply faultless.  Lets just say I cannot look at an Argos patio recliner in the same way! Ha!

I warmed to Erin immediately, loyal, trustworthy, dependable.  Erin is the type of friend that every girl should have.  I loved reading the story from her point of view, a young sixteen year old growing into an independent young lady and mother.  I also loved the closeness she had with her family and the support she received from them was heart warming.

Going back to the fantastic writing of Nia, this book was a rollercoaster of emotions, some pages would have me howling in laughter but at other times the story would turn a 360 and have me nearly in tears.  Loved also the references to the 90's they made me chuckle and cringe at the same time! Some of the outfit choices! What was the 90's thinking! Ha!

I remember feeling desperate by the end of the book wanting to get through the pages to find out how it ended and what lay ahead for Erin.  I wasn't disappointed though, I absolutely loved the ending and it left me with a huge smile on my face.  I really hope Nia brings out a follow up to Erin and the whole gang, I still think about the characters and often wonder what they are up to now. 

Thank you Nia for asking me to read your wonderful book I very much enjoyed it!




No comments:

Post a Comment