Friday 17 August 2018

Book Review: The Plus One by Sophia Money-Coutts





Synopsis:
The Plus One [n] informal a person who accompanies an invited person to a wedding or a reminder of being single, alone and absolutely plus none 

Polly’s not looking for ‘the one’, just the plus one… 

Polly Spencer is fine. She’s single, turning thirty and only managed to have sex twice last year (both times with a Swedish banker called Fred), but seriously, she’s fine. Even if she’s still stuck at Posh! magazine writing about royal babies and the chances of finding a plus one to her best friend’s summer wedding are looking worryingly slim. 

But it’s a New Year, a new leaf and all that. Polly’s determined that over the next 365 days she’ll remember to shave her legs, drink less wine and generally get her s**t together. Her latest piece is on the infamous Jasper, Marquess of Milton, undoubtedly neither a plus one nor ‘the one’. She’s heard the stories, there’s no way she’ll succumb to his charms…



My Review:
I kept seeing this book pop up online so I decided to give it a read, the synopsis is right up my street and I'm glad I did so big thanks to Netgalley for an early sneak peak!

We meet Polly Spencer whose best friend Lex is getting married and she needs a plus one!  Single and nearing her thirties she's not on the lookout for 'The One' but a plus one to the wedding would do... for now!

Some of the stories Polly covers for her job as a writer for Posh! Magazine were ridiculous, the avocado one making me LOL!  However one of the stories she takes on leads her to meet Jasper, Marquess of Milton who lives in a fancy castle, Jasper is constantly in the press and Polly is about to get an exclusive interview into the real Jasper and his family.

After a weekend away staying at the family castle, Polly gets to know the real Jasper behind the paparazzi cameras and she believes the press have it wrong about him and his family.  Jasper takes an interest in Polly which surely can only end badly, right?  Even though Polly knows all the stories and has even been told first hand of his charms by her work friend Lala.  Will she fall for his romantic side?!  I'll leave that for you to find out.

I loved the close relationship Polly has with her mum, how honest they were when speaking and the conversations between the two really made me laugh.  It reminded me of my relationship with my own mum and the way I can speak to her like speaking to a friend.  It was really nice reading some of the scenes between the two ladies.
I also liked the friendships Polly has built over the years, Lex and Bill being the closest two.  I liked the fact that Sophia gives a little background information on their first meets, it really does help to bond to a character no matter how small or large their part is in the story.

Although a little predictable at times which I honestly don't care as it's nice to see where the author is going with the story, I also love when I can say 'I guessed it right!' when I finish!  This is a perfect summer read for when you need a little escapism, it's funny with some heartwarming moments.  

Congratulations Sophia on your debut novel, waiting patiently for your next book!



No comments:

Post a Comment