Friday 10 August 2018

Book Review: Wilde Like Me by Louise Pentland



Synopsis:
Single mum Robin Wilde adores her six-year-old daughter and loves her job as a make up artist's assistant. She has a wonderful best friend and an auntie who is bonkers, yes, but loves her to the moon and back.

But Robin has a secret. Behind the mask she carefully applies every day, things just feel ... grey. And lonely. She struggles to fit in with the school mum crew. Online dating is totally despair-inducing, and she worries every day about raising her little girl with self-confidence, courage and joy.


What Robin longs for is someone (over the age of six) to share with - someone who's always on her team. 


After 4 years (2 months, and 15 days!) of single-mum-dom, it's time for Robin Wilde to Change. Her. Life. 


Exciting new opportunities are about to come Robin's way ... Perhaps a man, perhaps the chance of a lifetime ...


What will Robin do with the possibilities she creates for herself? And what potential will she unlock if she takes the leap?


My Review: 
I have seen this book pop up on Amazon and book shops so much and I’m now kicking myself as to why I hadn’t read it before now! 

I booked tickets to see Louise Pentland for her book tour to promote her new novel and the sequel to Wilde about you (Wilde About the Girl) so I decided now was the perfect time to read it (also helped that it was on an offer on Amazon for only 99p! Whoop!)

I’m pleased I can now say I have read it, I really enjoyed it!  The book features Robin Wilde, she’s a single mum to her six year old daughter Lyla and a part time makeup artist’s assistant. 

As you know from the description above, Robin has her struggles with being a single parent, not so much the struggles of parenting itself, more the feeling of being alone without a partner or adult conversation after Lyla had gone to bed or stayed at her dad’s, even the school meetings or dinners where Robin was the single one between many couples.
I struggled at times with those moments, I found it difficult to read those sections when Robin was negative and sad but just because I didn't enjoy those parts doesn’t mean those feelings are not important to the story, they play a massive part and this book is a very honest and down to earth account of one woman's journey through motherhood and it opened my eyes to how easy people can hide their true feelings.

Robin's feelings of sadness and loneliness made me want to be her own personal cheer leader and jump up and down with pom poms and give her the support to get her through the blue times.

The sad times were a massive contrast to the happy bubbly Robin which appeared more often by the end of the book (phew!) I liked this Robin a lot, she took some risks and was brave to put herself out there and sometimes the risks paid off.

I loved the relationship between the characters, specifically between Robin, Lyla and Auntie Kath.  Being close to my own mum I really loved the scenes with Robin and Lyla, they are Team Wilde and Lyla was Robin's number one fan.  I loved Auntie Kath, although slightly eccentric you could totally feel the love she had for Robin and would do anything for her niece. The story shows that although you could feel the loneliest person in the world there is always someone there to be on your side and root for you, you just have to let them in!

I think I will leave this review here, I won't tell you whether Robin gets her happily ever ending, I will leave that for you to find out.  

I am really looking forward to reading her follow on 'Wilde About the Girl' It's always nice to catch up with old characters and I am sure it is as good as the first! 
Top tip, don't read the synopsis of the follow up otherwise it gives away a few spoilers! Although unlike me you probably have read this by now!





No comments:

Post a Comment