Sunday 7 April 2019

Book Review: The Truth About Love and Dogs by Lilly Bartlett (Michele Gorman)



Synopsis:
Four little words, uttered by her husband…
‘Oh my god,’ he gasped into her shoulder. ‘Shannon!’
There’s just one problem: her name isn’t Shannon.

Rewind six months and Scarlett and Rufus aren’t in the honeymoon stage anymore so much as the honey-should-we-bother phase. Desperate to get their sparkle back, Scarlett has plotted, planned and waxed more than any woman should have to, but none of it is working. Which makes it very hard to start the family they want.

At least her business is going strong, even if her marriage isn’t. She and her best friend spend their days tangled up in dog leads and covered in fur. Scarlett is the fairy dogmother, training hopeless pets like compulsive eater Barkley, impulsive Romeo Murphy and bossy Biscuit. Meanwhile, her best friend walks the dogs and pines for the man who doesn’t know she exists. Thank goodness the women have each other.

If only Scarlett could work out how to get her marriage back on track. But Rufus isn’t sharing his feelings with her. He is, though, sharing with her best friend. Her best friend, Shannon.



My Review:
Firstly a big thank you to Michele Gorman (Lilly Bartlett) for asking me to read and review 'The Truth About Love and Dogs' This was an enjoyable read which didn't take me long to get through, it was difficult to put down and I raced to the end as I was desperate to know how the story would unfold.

The story is based around three main characters, Scarlett who runs a dog business called 'Ruff Love' along with her business partner and best friend Shannon and Rufus, who is married to Scarlett but also best friends with Shannon.  So after reading the first three lines of the synopsis you can understand my eagerness for reading this book so fast!

I was laughing out loud right from the off when someone turned up in the park thinking 'Ruff Love' was some sort of sex club! Ha! The dog training group scenes were fun to read and I loved each of their personalities, the dogs as well as the owners!  I loved how caring Scarlett was towards the dogs also the friendships she builds with the owners made for some really nice scenes to read.

As well as being a romantic comedy with lots of humour this book touches on a very serious subject which I won't let on and let you find out for yourself.  I didn't expect this so I was quite surprised but for me it really made the book and I thought the balance throughout worked perfectly and kept the book light hearted even during the more serious chapters.  The writing style was perfect, making me feel all sorts of emotions for the characters.  

Overall this book has everything, comedy, love, friendship, dogs, crushes thrown together with those real life problems that we have to adult through.  I would recommend this book to friends and family for sure!

As this was my first Lilly Bartlett book I am excited to get reading her other books as I am sure I won't be disappointed! 

Thank you again Michele!





No comments:

Post a Comment