Thursday 11 April 2019

Book Review: No Place Like Home by Maxine Morrey





Synopsis:
Ellie Laing has a very good reason to want to stay single: her last relationship put her in danger. And she’s worried that while the physical scars will heal, the emotional ones never can. So, travelling to Kansas for her best friend Sandy’s wedding, Ellie’s in need of some time alone. And Sandy’s brother Ben’s rural and idyllic ranch seems like the perfect place for it.

Ben comes with his own baggage – a failed marriage in his past, and a big question mark over his future – and he knows the feelings he had for Ellie belong firmly in the history books. But, sitting on his porch with her, he’s never felt more at home.

Both of them swore they were better off alone… yet is it possible that two broken hearts could come together to heal?



My Review:
LOVED this! I have read a few of Maxine's books and they are my go to when I want an easy feel good read that keeps me up into the early hours. There is nothing better than a book that grips you from the first page and this is one of them! 

This story has everything, friendship, family, love and healing. It covers serious issues of domestic violence which Maxine writes really well, I will admit I didn’t enjoy reading this section (who would? I know..) but it is an important part of the plot. The story focuses on Ellie’s survival and learning to trust and love again. 

After a traumatic time Ellie agrees to head back to Kansas to stay with her best friend Sandy and use the time to heal. Sandy and Ellie have been friends since they were children when Ellie and her family lived in Kansas, even after returning back to the UK Ellie and Sandy's friendship remained solid. I really enjoyed reading the story through Ellie’s eyes, a rollercoaster of emotions jumped out of the pages, following Ellie's journey to rebuild her confidence and let go of the pain.

Lead guitarist in a successful country band is Ben but to Ellie he will always be Sandy’s brother. Recently divorced Ben is trying to figure out his life as a single man again. Hearing of Ellie being back in Kansas brings back all those feelings from long ago that he thought he had buried away. I know I say it after every book but Ben is my new favourite…! Ha! Maxine created a wholesome, loyal and kind character in Ben, a family man who although is famous is also grounded and we thank you Maxine for him!

This book was everything I knew it would be and more, I loved the friendship between Sandy and Ellie, the closeness of their relationship was nice to read. I loved the humour that was used throughout the book, the scenes between Ellie and Ben were my favourite, the chemistry between them was at times sizzling and sweet and other times sooo frustrating I wanted to jump into the pages and knock their heads together.  Maxine's descriptions of Kansas made me want to be there, sitting on the porch of a beautiful ranch enjoying homemade lemonade with a singer cowboy! Don't mind if I do...! 

This is a heartwarming read, focusing on rebuilding yourself, learning to trust and love again and letting people into your life. Maxine’s style of writing is fantastic, I love the balance of a nitty gritty storyline, with an easy read romance and not forgetting some great humour thrown in too.  Don't stop writing Maxine! 




No comments:

Post a Comment