Thursday 18 April 2019

Book Review: Dear Mrs Bird by A J Pearce






Synopsis:
London, 1941. Amid the falling bombs Emmeline Lake dreams of becoming a fearless Lady War Correspondent. Unfortunately, Emmy instead finds herself employed as a typist for the formidable Henrietta Bird, the renowned agony aunt at Woman’s Friend magazine. Mrs Bird refuses to read, let alone answer, letters containing any form of Unpleasantness, and definitely not those from the lovelorn, grief-stricken or morally conflicted. 

But the thought of these desperate women waiting for an answer at this most desperate of times becomes impossible for Emmy to ignore. She decides she simply must help and secretly starts to write back – after all, what harm could that possibly do?



My Review:
Wow! I was not expecting to feel so in love with a book as I do for ‘Dear Mrs Bird’ You will not be disappointed I can assure you. After reading and enjoying ‘The Street of Broken Dreams’ by Tania Crosse I was quite intrigued to read more books set during the war, so after a book chat with a friend she recommended ‘Dear Mrs Bird’ I made a mental note to add this to my never ending to be read pile and get to it at some point this year but I happened to come across it during a library visit. I couldn’t just leave it there could I?! So I picked it up and my gosh I am so pleased I did. 

1941 World War II London, Emmeline (Emmy as we get to know her as throughout the book) wants nothing more than to be a Lady War Correspondent for the Evening Chronicle. What she does become (after a mix up with the job advertisement) is a typist for Henrietta Bird, a famous agony aunt for a magazine called ‘Woman’s Friend’. Emmy although a little glum due to the mix up, takes it all in her stride and decides to give the job her all and make the most of the opportunity. 

‘Keep calm and carry on’ the well used British phrase popped up in my mind every time I opened this book. While bombs were being dropped and loved ones were away on duty people had no choice but to carry on. Anxious family members, women whose husbands, boyfriends, brothers and son’s were out at war wrote into ‘Woman’s Friend’ for guidance, advice and comfort however Emmy soon realises that Mrs Bird with a heart of stone is a tough one to crack. Refusing to answer let alone read letters from desperate women with socially unacceptable problems Emmy struggles to rip their letters up and throw away leaving Emmy struggling against her heart and mind knowing she would be breaking the rules but not able to sit back while they are ignored. Emmy decides to go with her heart and write back in secret, of course thinking no harm will come of it but of course we know life is never as simple as that. 

I warmed to Emmy from the first page, her character was really likeable, witty and caring. As well as working she was also a volunteer at the local fire department as a telephone operator and reading about the firefighters gave you an insight into what life would have been like during those times. Of course times were hard and I was a fool to think this story was just about an agony aunt page in a woman’s magazine, but in fact the story takes a sudden turn which I won’t spoil as my friend didn’t for me. That point in the book (and you will know when you come to it) grabbed me and for a few chapters I was glued to the pages hoping my commute into work was delayed just so I wouldn’t have to step away from Emmy even for a few hours. 

This is a charming read, capturing my heart and staying with me for quite a few days after finishing. I can usually leave characters in the pages of a book after finishing but not Emmy, I often thought about her, even after a week had passed and I was onto my next book, she always stayed in my mind. 

I recommend Dear Mrs Bird to everyone, it’s beautifully written, the characters are a joy to read about and the story is enjoyable, humorous and utterly moving.





No comments:

Post a Comment